As I was making my first vase, my friend had jokingly asked me to make one for him. He was getting engaged soon, so I thought it was a good idea as a small gift.
He didn’t like my previous raku attempt and thought the effect was well, ugly – each to their own I suppose.
What vase could I give him? I thought of a hydrian vase and used that as an inspiration.
I really liked the shape and thought it would be appreciated better than my previous “ugly” vase.
I spent much of my time working on this, creating it through coils of raku clay. At one point it looked so wrong I wanted to bin it!
However, consultation with Matt and a step backwards changed my mind. I was back in the workshop and working at the vase. Every spare moment was spent improving the piece so I could make it for the kiln deadline.
I created a handle which fell off but, allowed me to create a better one instead.
Finally it was ready to be biscuit fired.
After firing I asked my friend for their favourite colour which was turquoise or dark green/ blue.
I added that glaze and voila:
I now had something to add to my collection of slightly wonky pottery.